Our Grantmaking Process
Here’s what happens when you decide to send in a proposal
Grantseeker activities in green.
- Your organization researches our foundation’s grantmaking and knows the following:
- There are no application deadlines. You will want to send your proposal 90 days before you want to receive a response.
- You are welcome to call us anytime during the research, application or consideration process!
- Your organization sends an online grant proposal to our foundation.
- Our grants manager: Acknowledges receipt of the proposal. Gathers more information if needed.
- One of our program officers contacts you to set up a discussion about your proposal. You’ll meet either in person or by phone.
- One of our program officers visits to discuss your grant proposal in more detail.
- The program officer may ask you to provide more or different information.
- Our program officer summarizes your grant request for discussion by our entire staff.
- Our program officer may request more information from you at this time. Don’t worry. It happens to most of our grantseekers!
- Our program officers make changes and summarize your grant request for discussion by our Grant Review Committee.
- Our Grant Review Committee considers these summaries and makes recommendations to our board of directors.
- Our board of directors determines whether our foundation will make the proposed grant. This information comes to you by U.S. mail.
- There are several possible answers to Dekko Foundation grant requests:
- Approved as an outright grant.
- Approved as a pledge with contingencies.
- Approved in part.
- In the case of a declination, our letter will explain why the grant was not made.
- Organizations approved for funding will receive a grant agreement that should be signed by your organization’s leader and returned to us. After we receive your grant agreement, we’ll notify you that we’ve placed your midterm and final grant reports into your Dekko Foundation account.
- After your grant agreement is signed and returned, we do one of two things:
- We pay out the grants approved with no conditions or contingencies, or we set aside funds to pay our pledge when contingencies are completed.
- Grantees then carry out their project as proposed.
- Our grants manager reminds grantees of upcoming reports and their due dates.
- Grantees return midterm and final grant reports that summarize the change that occurred as part of their grant.
- We review these reports and then communicate your results and lessons learned to co-workers and our board members.
- Whew! Remember you can always call us at the number below.
Let us know if you still have questions.